From global institutions to hedge funds, investors come to Morgan Stanley for sales, trading, and market-making services in almost every type of financial instrument in all the world’s financial markets. Morgan Stanley professionals use our network and technology to provide liquidity and sophisticated analysis, to manage risk and execute reliably in the fast-changing markets.
Morgan Stanley’s Institutional Equity Division (IED) is a world leader in the origination, distribution and trading of equity, equity-linked and equity-derivative securities. Our broad and deep client relationships, market-leading platform and intellectual insights enable us to be a world-class service provider to our clients for their financing, market access and portfolio management needs.
Global Markets Group is the offshoring arm of Morgan Stanley’s Sales & Trading businesses in India. It covers functions across IED, associated to sales, trading, analytics, strats, risk management and documentation.
Background on the Team
Institutional Securities Documentation (ISD) is a global team based in several locations (including New York, London, Hong Kong, and Tokyo). AEDG stands for Asia Equity Documentation Group, which is part of ISD and is comprised of a group of negotiators with legal backgrounds (i.e. practicing lawyers in HK/UK/NY; and/or as holders of law degrees/master’s in law). We support the equity businesses of Morgan Stanley Hong Kong office and handle documentation for prime brokerage and listed derivatives, over-the-counter on equity swaps/options (vanilla and exotic) on global equity underlying (with a particular focus on the Asia markets such as China QFII/ Stock Connect and India ODI), stock-lending, listed derivatives, warrants issuance, China cash trading, regulatory remediation and subsets of documentation relating to our coverage areas.
This role is in Mumbai and requires working with the Asia Equity Documentation Group based in Hong Kong. The role will require a fast-learning, dynamic, pro-active, and self-motivated person to assist the team in its day-to-day activities.
The current opening is for a professional within the Asia Pacific team, based in Mumbai, with responsibility for documentation aspects of OTC derivative transactions, prime brokerage, and stock-lending transactions in the Asia ex-Japan region.
- Draft, negotiate and execute (including amendments to) master derivatives agreements, including but not limited to ISDA, VM CSA, IM CSA, equity swaps /options and prime brokerage related documentation.
- Review and analyze constitutional documents of the client, to establish their capacity and authority capabilities for entering derivative transactions with Morgan Stanley.
- Review and analyze capacity and authority legal opinion from external counsel and highlight issues to Risk and Legal for approvals where applicable.
- Work closely with MS internal stakeholders, to obtain approvals on deviated terms identified in negotiable agreements, with clear implication on deviated terms to enable internal stakeholders to make informed decisions.
- Handle business unit’s queries on the terms of documentation ISD handles.
- Participate in globally or locally led projects related to documentation requirements.
- Undertake tasks directly related to the coordination and lifecycle management of the clients’ agreements and act as the primary point of contact for the clients for all tasks originating from the Asia Pacific region.
- Responsible for administering and facilitating the agreement execution process; maintain and update clients’ contract database/systems; attend to day-to-day coordination among internal procurement and legal teams with respect to such contracts; and perform due diligence to ensure contract terms and conditions as well as information of the parties is reflected in the client’s contract database/systems.
- Law graduate with relevant 1-5 years of experience in financing/derivatives is preferred. Legal qualification is advantageous.
- In-house documentation negotiation experience or paralegal experience in corporate law firm is preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Prepared to speak to clients (internal and external) at all times.
- Proficiency in English is a must. Good team player.
- Solid quantitative skills and strong interest in business, economics, and law.
- Willingness and ability to provide quality service to the Firm’s clients and to promote and enhance the Firm franchise.
- Willingness to work in dynamic environment and the ability to excel under pressure.
- Proficiency and interest in technology and systems development.
- Organized, pro-active, ability to multi-task and work efficiently, detail-oriented, and self-sufficient.
For regular updates, join us: