Caring for the world, one person at a time has inspired and united the people of Johnson & Johnson for over 125 years. We embrace research and science — bringing creative ideas, products and services to advance the health and well-being of people. Every day, our more than 130,000 employees across the world are blending heart, science and ingenuity to profoundly change the trajectory of health for humanity.
At Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies, we are using our breadth, scale and experience to reimagine the way healthcare is delivered and help people live longer, healthier lives.
In a radically changing environment, we are making connections across science and technology to combine our own expertise in surgery, orthopedics, vision and interventional solutions with the big ideas of others to design and deliver physician and patient-centric products and solutions.
As pioneers in medical devices, we continually focus on elevating the standard of care—working to expand patient access, improve outcomes, reduce health system costs and drive value. We create smart, people-centered healthcare to help the patients we serve recover faster and live longer and more vibrantly.
The Associate Director, Government Affairs & Policy, India, will be responsible for effective internal and external interactions to position Johnson & Johnson as a credible stakeholder to the Government of India (GOI) and shape policy and legislation of strategic importance to the Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices and Johnson & Johnson Vision businesses. Additionally, the Associate Director will lead the overall representation of the Johnson & Johnson Enterprise to 1-2 key states and state authorities in India and also be the Enterprise Lead for Regulatory policy issues. The individual will also be a part of the Medical Devices leadership team and represent GA&P on the same, as well as partner closely with the leadership team to drive GA&P objectives.
The successful candidate will be unique in their skill set in terms of the fact that they have (i) a flair for Public Affairs/advocacy and proven commercial mindset which shapes the external environment to ethically drive business strategy and growth; (ii) a strong technical policy and/or legislative background and are ideally well connected with Delhi/Center-based institutions and stakeholders as well as key states across India.
GA&P Medical Devices and Vision India Lead
- Provide counsel and support to the J&J Medical Devices India Managing Director, the Head of J&J Vision India, and their Leadership Teams on interactions with the external environment, politicians, policy makers and senior officials in public or private health systems.
- Lead and drive new ideas with commercial leaders, and other related functions (regulatory, legal, Communications etc.), to integrate Government Affairs and Policy (GA&P) advocacy into the armamentarium of strategic marketing plans across the J&J Medical device and Vision franchises.
- Taking account of Johnson & Johnson’s strategic business priorities, identify and develop appropriate long-term policy strategies to support company goals.
- Serve as a trusted advisor to the business in strategic planning and horizon scanning by translating policy/political issues into potential commercial threats and opportunities.
- Monitor, analyse and advise on the potential impact of key political, economic and policy trends / developments; and lead the development of policy solutions and recommendations to address as required.
- Lead the development of effective GA&P India priorities for Medical Devices and Vision, aligned to the GA&P Worldwide Strategy and in consultation with the GA&P India Head and APAC team,
- Deliver clear and impactful stakeholder mapping, messaging and analytics capabilities to support strategy and execution of key policy/political priorities.
- Establish a credible profile for Johnson & Johnson with relevant policy makers and influencers (politicians, government officials, health system leaders and officials, NGOs, academics, etc.) and Central/Delhi level.
- Collaborate with GA&P India state leads on local issues/priorities pertaining to Medical Devices/Vision
- Serve as a point of contact to develop policy options / positions, in collaboration with GA&P India Health Policy Lead and other internal stakeholders.
- Work across all levels of Johnson & Johnson to ensure consistent positions and approaches on issues pertinent to Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices and J&J Vision, in consideration of a structured Government Affairs approach (Monitoring, Information & Analysis, Strategic consideration, Policy, influencing).
- Represent Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices at Trade and other associations (FICCI, Amcham, MTAI, USIBC, etc.) and support commercial leaders representing the company on association boards.
- Develop and manage program budgets and consultants as needed.
- In all activities and projects, leverage the expertise of and collaborate closely with all members of GA&P India team (including Global Health Policy Lead for India), partner functions (Regulatory Affairs, Legal, Communications, others), the India commercial organization of Medical Devices, and regional GA&P colleagues.
GA&P States Lead in the State of Rajasthan
- Lead the representation of J&J as an Enterprise (across Consumer Health, Medical Devices, Vision, and Pharmaceuticals) in a group of assigned priority states.
- Collaborate and align closely on state-related issues closely with fellow GA&P India team members responsible for Consumer Health and Pharmaceuticals and other states
- Work closely with Enterprise GA&P lead for India on overall strategy for Medical Devices an Vision, and key states
- Build and maintain effective relationships with State-level officials in assigned states to support J&J priority projects and/or our footprint, or to manage policy issues relevant to J&J in those states.
- Engage with relevant State-level trade associations and NGOs to ensure a favourable external environment for J&J’s key issues
Lead and facilitate direct stakeholder engagement, with the involvement of business and functional leaders and occasionally regional and global leaders.
GA&P Trade Associations Enterprise Lead
- GA&P Trade Associations Enterprise Lead
- Lead engagement strategy development for GA&P across trade associations for the enterprise
- Represent & lead engagement as well as execution in medical device associations
- Expected Behaviors and Leadership
- These will be a critical success factor for the selected candidate
- Provide leadership within the broader J&J India and GA&P India teams, as well as the APAC and Worldwide GA&P organizations in initiatives such as (non-exclusive list):
- Participating in and integrating closely within the Janssen Leadership Team and business organization
- Executing effective CRM system for stakeholder management
- Delivering high-quality and visually engaging content on policy and political analysis to the J&J business leaders
- Participating (where relevant) in APAC-level projects and collaborative initiatives
- Engage actively in worldwide GA&P projects, ad-hoc teams, or annual events
Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree is preferred in one or more of the following areas: political science, international relations, law, communications, economics or equivalent
Experience and Skills:
- Required Years of Related Experience: 10-15
- Experience in or curiosity about healthcare and health policy
- Deep understanding of the political system and policy development process of the GOI across the Central and State levels
- Provide a strong policy and/or legislative background and can ‘enjoy’ reading detailed policy papers and proposals.
- Demonstrate excellent written English and the ability to translate technical details into simple concepts which non-technical experts can follow and apply to their business strategies and plans.
- Proven ability to master complex regulatory and policy issues, and to translate them into clear and concise messaging of direct relevance to the Johnson & Johnson business (commercial, R&D, Regulatory etc.).
- Strong analytical skills combined with critical and creative thinking.
- Intellectual curiosity, results orientation, strategic thinking, business acumen, self-awareness and adaptability.
- Ability to interact with and brief senior executives in a clear and concise manner.
- Ability to work collaboratively and establish positive working relationships with colleagues and external stakeholders.
- Comfortable using all IT applications relevant to the role (powerpoint, excel, outlook, etc.), as well as knowledge of document sharing platforms, cloud-based services and remote conferencing and calling
How to Apply ?
For regular updates, join us: