As part of IIHS’ detailed legal work, we are looking for a candidate to fill the full-time position of Consultant – Legal & Regulation in our Delhi or Bengaluru offices. This is a mid-level leadership position that will potentially involve independent responsibility and individual contribution along with reviewing and supervising the work of younger team members.
Activities and Tasks
Responsibilities would include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Legal Support (primary):
- Handling legal and regulatory matters;
- Contract drafting and contract management;
- Transactional advisory and drafting, preferably with experience of:
- matters pertaining to the ‘not for profit’ sector;
- procurement and tendering;
- construction contracts (Works, Design Build, PPP models);
- transactional elements of IPR related matters;
- Ensuring effective and adequate documentation;
- Institutional process drafting;
- Handling legal advisory, memos and opinion writing, litigation proceedings and related support as applicable;
- Undertaking legal and regulatory due diligence
- Research (secondary):
- Contributing to research and academic work on aspects of urban law and policy, as relevant to IIHS;
- Contributing to other IIHS activities including academics, research, training, practice, operations and others;
- Participating in all activities of Institution-Building at IIHS; carrying out tasks as assigned.
Structure and Reporting
The Consultant – Legal & Regulation will report to the Head – Legal & Regulation at IIHS and will collaborate effectively with a diverse group of internal teams and external individuals/organisations, and students.
We are looking for a knowledgeable, responsible and motivated lawyer with a minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Law and at least 8 years of work experience in relevant areas, including preferably, experience of dealing with legal and regulatory issues in the non-for-profit sector.
Other qualifications required for this role, include:
- Excellent analytical skills and a high degree of proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel;
- Excellent communication skills in written English;
- Good communication skills and fluency in Hindi/Kannada (written and spoken);
- Ability to undertake rigorous research on contracts, labour law, taxation law, privacy/date protection legislation, case law, institutional structures and relevant legislative matters, with pronounced evidence of strong drafting and transactional skills;
- Ability to understand law in contexts and propose iterative solutions;
- Ability to assist with litigation related matters;
- Ability to work in a highly inter-disciplinary team and under strict and frequent deadlines;
- Professional experience in dealing with Government agencies/entities;
- Initiative and independent working, ability to handle tasks with minimal supervision;
- Leadership skills, with the ability to supervise and mentor younger team members.
This offer is on an exclusive basis, which implies that other professional assignments (whether compensated or not) that bear a potential conflict of interest with IIHS cannot be undertaken.
The search will remain open until the position is filled.
This position is based in Delhi or Bengaluru and may entail travel to other locations in India.
Review and Assessment
The role and performance of the incumbent shall be subject to normal review and assessment systems at IIHS.
IIHS is an equal opportunity employer that encourages women, people with disabilities and those from economically and socially excluded communities with the requisite skills and qualifications to apply for positions.
Link to Apply
Please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need any clarifications while filling the online application form.
For regular updates, join us: