Offset dilution in defence, a flawed policy turn- Wednesday, October 21, 2020
- Many contend that the move is a setback for augmenting domestic capabilities or for realising the goal of Atmanirbhar Bharat
Augment: to increase; to make something (developing) greater in size
- However, the policy has been tweaked many times since.
Tweak: To twist
- The dilution means practically giving up the offset clause, sounding the death knell of India’s prospects for becoming defence production and technological self-reliance.
Death Knell: sounding the end of something
- It is a lamentable excuse for the reported policy failure.
Lamentable: Which deserves serious criticism; very bad; regretable
- Despite the heft of HAL, India is a lightweight in global civilian aircraft manufacturing , as the public sector giant mostly devotes itself to defence production.
Heft: Influence or ability that something or someone possess
- Exports plummeted after the offset clause was relaxed
Plument: to decline suddenly