On Monday Justice Madras HC Justice Anand Venkatesh expressed his thoughts on homosexual relationships. When the judge was ruling on a petition filed by two lesbian girls asking for protection from their parents who were against their homosexual relationship.
Justice Anand Venkatesh shared his thoughts on LGBT Community while giving direction in a petition filed by a lesbian couple. He revealed that he belongs to the majority one who had hesitation in accepting same-sex relationship completely and also revealed that he had voluntarily taken counseling with Vidya Dinakaran, a Psychologist, for understanding the subject of homosexuality to pass the correct judgment. He explained that how difficult it was on his part to pass judgment on this as he has never known anyone personally who was in such a relationship or had never experienced personally such relationship and that’s the reason he had taken counseling because it helped him to understand reality and emotions behind such homosexual relationship and made him realize that he to need to change his notion.
He said the present case has given this court, not only an opportunity but also a vested responsibility to weigh by cause for inclusivity and justice against discrimination by the heretofore social understanding of morality and notions of tradition. As he also said, “ignorance is no justification for normalizing any form of discrimination”
In the following petition, the court has also issued guidelines to ensure that the LGBT person is not harassed by police and authorities
- The police, on compliance regarding girl/women/man missing cases which belong to the LGBT community, shall upon receipt of their statements, close the complaint without subjecting them to any harassment.
- The Ministry of Social Justice & empowerment must list NGOs along with the address, contact details, and services provided shall be published and revised on the official website. And must be published within 8 weeks from the date of order.
- If a person belonging to LGBT faces any issue may approach NGOs.
- The NGOs in consultation with MSJE, must maintain the confidentiality of persons who are approaching
- The problems relating to LGBT Community shall be addressed with the best-suited method depending upon the facts and circumstances of the case.
- Changes should be made in existing stay homes to accommodate a member of the LGBT Community who requires shelters.
- The Union and State Government shall endeavor to device such measures and policies for eliminating prejudice against LGBT Community.
- And creating awareness, the court suggests sensitization programs.
-Report by Riddhi Dubey