About the company
Opening up a world of opportunity for our customers, investors, ourselves and the planet.
We’re a financial services organisation that serves more than 40 million customers, ranging from individual savers and investors to some of the world’s biggest companies and governments. Our network covers 64 countries and territories, and we’re here to use our unique expertise, capabilities, breadth and perspectives to open up a world of opportunity for our customers.
HSBC is listed on the London, Hong Kong, New York, Paris and Bermuda stock exchanges.
About the job
The health and safety of our employees and candidates is very important to us. Due to the current situation related to the Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV), we’re leveraging our digital capabilities to ensure we can continue to recruit top talent at the HSBC Group. As your application progresses, you may be asked to use one of our digital tools to help you through your recruitment journey. If so, one of our Resourcing colleagues will explain how our video-interviewing technology will be used throughout the recruitment process and will be on hand to answer any questions you might have.
Some Careers Shine Brighter Than Others.
If you’re looking for a career where you can make a real impression, join HSBC and discover how valued you’ll be.
HSBC is one of the largest banking and financial services organisations in the world, with operations in 64 countries and territories. We aim to be where the growth is, enabling businesses to thrive and economies to prosper, and, ultimately, helping people to fulfil their hopes and realise their ambitions.
We are currently seeking an experienced professional to join our team in the role of Senior Legal Counsel, DBS Legal
Roles & Responsibilities
- Proactively assist the Head of Regions – DBS (Digital Business Services) Legal to manage resource capacity within the Global DBS Legal team (including its external providers), to deliver a responsive service to Procurement and the relevant business area in India
- To provide legal advice, guidance and support to ensure that the Group’s exposure to legal risk through its engagement with third parties for the contracting for goods and services is managed
- To deliver a professional contracts negotiation drafting and advice service in respect of contracts with third party suppliers of goods and services
- To ensure HSBC’s business and operational strategies and initiatives are facilitated in a timely manner
- To support the Regional Head of DBS Legal to drive transformational change in the DBS Legal team to deliver efficient and effective risk management of supplier contracts globally (including involvement in setting DBS Legal policy and procedures
- To manage and supervise a team of Legal Counsel/Legal Advisers or contract staff.
Principal Accountabilities: Key activities and decision making areas
- Provide support to the Regional Head of DBS Legal in the resource capacity management of the DBS Legal team (including its external providers).
- Be considered a trusted adviser to DBS and Marketing by providing commercially sensitive, pragmatic and practical legal support and advice in a cost effective manner.
- Deliver proactive, effective and responsive legal advice to Procurement, Marketing, DBS and business areas as necessary for the drafting and negotiation of contracts/agreements with third party supplier across a full range of commodity/category areas.
- Provide training and development to the members of other member of LGA on supply contract related matters, including acting in a supervisory capacity in relation to certain projects.
- Provide training and development to Procurement, Marketing and DBS on legal, contractual and policy matters relating to the supply of goods and services to improve understanding of risks/issues and strategies for reducing risk
Customers / Stakeholders
- Provide prompt, commercial, practical and high quality legal advice to Procurement, Marketing and all DBS areas
- Be proactive in the provision of legal support and in advising Procurement, Marketing and DBS promptly of material legal developments and their implications
- Ensure relevant parties are fully briefed on major issues arising in relevant business/function area and major legislative changes in area of expertise
- Build and maintain positive and effective relationships with panel law firms and other appropriate external parties
- Ensure the entity and functional line managers are fully and regularly briefed on all relevant issues
Leadership & Teamwork
- Drive a high performance, customer focused culture within India LGA and the DBS Legal Team, ensuring that operational delivery of the contracts service is managed efficiently and customer expectations are managed
- Provide guidance and supervision to junior members of the DBS Legal team (and external providers) in relation to contract drafting, negotiation, regulatory or legislative matters pertaining to the purchase of goods and services in India
- Participate effectively as part of India LGA and the DBS Legal Team and maintain and develop positive and professional working relationships with all team members
- Promote initiatives that result in the sharing of legal knowledge and best practices across India LGA and DBS Legal Team
Operational Effectiveness & Control
- Provide legal services in a cost-effective manner
- Co-ordinate and manage the approach to legal risk to ensure that the interests of the HSBC Group are adequately protected
- Assist Procurement, Marketing, DBS and the relevant businesses to remain compliant with legal risk management requirements set out in the Group Standards Manual and Legal FIM
- Ensure that relevant Legal Operating Procedures and in particular the Legal Operating Procedures for Supplier Contracts are adhered to.
- Support DBS Legal and local India Legal initiatives as relevant and appropriate
- Look for opportunities to provide legal support in a more efficient manner through the use of standard documentation, guidance notes and training.
The diverse responsibilities of the job and the number of jurisdictions in which HSBC operates, requires the job-holder to:
- Assist the Regional Head of DBS Legal in effectively managing the lawyers supporting supplier contracts in India (whether members of the DBS Legal team or not and no matter where located or if they are external providers) and where applicable assist in the recruitment of suitably qualified and experienced commercial contracts specialists
- Understand complex, often technical user requirements in relation to services required to meet business needs
- Constantly adapt working styles to meet complex and varied workloads
- Prioritise workloads in terms of legal risk and commercial consideration
- Handle a high volume of matters of a complex nature and exercising sound judgment in dealing with the changing legal framework affecting contracts
- Maintain a detailed knowledge of HSBC Group operations and policies
- Ensure that the business areas act in compliance with bank and departmental policies and procedures
- Think independently and act on one’s own counsel, being mindful of always providing pragmatic and commercial advice
- Be alert to external legal, political and regulatory considerations and implications
- The Senior Legal Counsel, DBS Legal will be responsible for the resourcing of, management of, legal supervision of and the operational effectiveness of a team of commercial contracts specialists/ legal counsel supporting supplier contracting in India, ensuring that internal customer requirements are managed responsibly and expectations managed effectively.
- The Senior Legal Counsel must act as a role model to the junior members of the DBS Legal team (both inside and outside of India) and provide advice and guidance to other members of the DBS Legal team in relation to India legal issues, policies and procedures, regulatory and legislative issues.
- The diversity of HSBC’s business, its geographic spread and the constant changes internally and externally means the diversity of matters to be managed and advised on is very wide.
- Senior Legal Counsel DBS Legal must respond to and provide solutions and quality legal advice for numerous diverse and complex contractual and logistical issues always ensuring any legal risks are mitigated\avoided.
- Senior Legal Counsel DBS Legal will need to interface with other bank and departmental policy holders at Group and local level as necessary to ensure that all third party costs and procurement activity is conducted in accordance with the appropriate policies and procedures contained within the GSM and relevant FIMS.
- Senior Legal Counsel DBS Legal will require an understanding of the structure of the HSBC Group and its culture.
Management of Risk
- Senior Legal Counsel DBS Legal India will be responsible for assisting the relevant DBS functions and business areas to manage the legal risks associated with the initiatives/projects they are undertaking.
Observation of Internal Controls
- Maintain HSBC internal standards including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators
The key dimensions of the job are as follows:
- Resource management planning
- Team management and legal supervision
- Provide legal support to various business areas within the HSBC Group in India
- Responsive and respected service
- Strong Internal Customer relationship management skills
Qualifications And Accreditations
- Qualified Indian lawyer with relevant post qualification experience or relevant experience as a contracts and IP specialist across a wide range of products and services
- Experienced and confident practitioner of law in India
- Up-to-date knowledge of developments in own industry sector
- Able to handle a diverse range of issues
- Self starter, independent with good organisational skills
- Communication and inter-personal skills
- Lateral thinking/problem solving
- Stamina and ability to work under pressure
You’ll achieve more when you join HSBC.
HSBC is committed to building a culture where all employees are valued, respected and opinions count. We take pride in providing a workplace that fosters continuous professional development, flexible working and opportunities to grow within an inclusive and diverse environment. Personal data held by the Bank relating to employment applications will be used in accordance with our Privacy Statement, which is available on our website.
Job Field: Legal
Primary Location: Asia Pacific-India-Telangana-Hyderabad
Type of Vacancy: Country vacancy
How to Apply?
For regular updates, join us: