The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is a UN agency mandated to aid and protect refugees, forcibly displaced communities, and stateless people, and to assist in their voluntary repatriation, local integration or resettlement to a third country.
The head office of UNHCR’s mission in India is located in Delhi, with a field office in Chennai. The current chief of mission is Oscar Mundia. UNHCR won the Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development in 2015.
About the Opportunity
UNHCR, India is looking to hire a Refugee Status Determination (RSD) Associate.
The RSD Associate is a member of the Refugee Status Determination (RSD) team. The RSD Associate will report to the Associate RSD Officer. S/he is responsible for supporting all activities related to the processing of refugee claims in the Operation.
- Providing counseling to, and responding to queries from, asylum seekers and refugees regarding UNHCR’s RSD procedures, their rights, and obligations, including towards the host authorities,
and the status of the processing of their claims.
- Liaising closely with Registration, Community Services, Resettlement, and other Protection staff.
- Conducting COI (Country of Origin Information) and other research related to RSD and maintaining the Operation’s local repository of relevant information, guidelines, and standards.
- Conducting interviews and drafting RSD Assessments at first instance/appeal.
- Assisting in compiling and analyzing information related to the RSD activities of the Operation, and in drafting related correspondence and reports.
- Providing interpretation and/or translation services in cases for which s/he has the required language competencies.
- Conduct reviews and deliver trainings as per operational needs.
- Stay abreast of legal, political, security, and other developments that impact on the protection environment, and in particular, on protection delivery through RSD.
- Assist in the development of the RSD strategy of the operation and in the annual planning exercise.
- Provide counseling to, and respond to queries from, asylum seekers and refugees, including in the context of the notification of negative RSD decisions.
- Conduct research on Country of Origin Information (COI) and other issues related to RSD and maintain the Operation’s local repository of relevant information, guidelines and standards accessible to RSD staff in the operation.
- Other such duties as assigned by the UNHCR.
- 3 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher.
- Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
Desirable Skills and Competencies
- University degree in Law, Human Rights, International Relations, or other clearly related disciplines.
- At least 1-year of working experience with procedures and principles related to RSD.
- Knowledge of International Refugee Law and Human Rights Law and the ability to apply the relevant legal principles.
- Experience in working with vulnerable or traumatized individuals.
How to Apply
- Interested applicants are requested to submit an application with a Personal History Form (P11) by email or by post indicating.
- Position: RSD Associate,
- To: PERSONNEL SECTION, UNHCR, B2/16, VASANT VIHAR, NEW DELHI 110 057, OR
- To indnehr[at]unhcr.org
Not later than 27/10/2020.
- Personal History Form (P-11) can be downloaded from the website or by clicking here.
- Prospective candidates will have to sit for a written test as well as an interview as part of the selection process.
For more such opportunities visit: