About Thomson Reuters Foundation
The is Thomson Reuters Foundation corporate foundation of Thomson Reuters, the global news and information services company. As an independent charity, registered in the UK and the USA, we work to advance media freedom, foster more inclusive economies, and promote human rights. Through news, media development, free legal assistance and convening initiatives, we combine our unique media and legal services to drive systemic change.
We use the combined power of journalism and the law to build global awareness of critical issues faced by humanity, inspire collective leadership and help shape a prosperous world where no one is left behind.
Legal projects facilitated through TrustLaw range from everyday operational and commercial matters – such as corporate structuring, intellectual property, non-profit governance or employment advice – to large-scale cross-border legal research projects. Research projects are based on NGO and social enterprise priorities across social or policy issues ranging from freedom of expression and social innovation policy, to human trafficking and data and digital rights, with a growing number in Thomson Reuters Foundation’s focus areas of media freedom, inclusive economies and human rights.
The Foundation is recruiting a highly skilled and dynamic Legal Programme Manager to grow and strengthen our award-winning TrustLaw programme across Asia. We have a growing presence in the region but see great potential for continuing to broaden and deepen the reach of our service, particularly across the Foundation’s focus areas of media freedom, inclusive economies and human rights. The position would be based in Mumbai and work closely with our Asia Legal Officer, who is based in Mumbai, and our Asia Programme Officer, who is based in Thailand, both of whom provide support to TrustLaw’s activities across the region.
Responsibilities may include:
- Designing and implementing strategies to expand and strengthen the TrustLaw service, ensuring we serve the best NGOs, social enterprises and legal teams and we deepen TrustLaw’s work across the focus areas of media freedom, inclusive economies and human rights.
- Managing relationships with key TrustLaw members and facilitating their engagement with the service, through hosting events and regular communications.
- Scoping legal pro bono requests from our community of NGOs and social enterprises so that the requests clearly explain the legal needs.
- Managing pro bono requests, including connecting the pro bono client with lawyers and following up with the parties involved.
- Designing and managing multiple cross-border research programmes that address the most critical social and policy needs facing our NGO and social enterprise members.
- Line management of a Programme Officer based in Bangkok and a Legal Officer based in Mumbai.
- Providing leadership or support, as appropriate, in the design, implementation and resourcing of strategic Thomson Reuters Foundation projects in the region or globally.
- Design and execute a robust communications strategy that includes member events and promotion of TrustLaw publications.
- Representing TrustLaw and the Thomson Reuters Foundation by speaking publicly about our work at conferences and other events.
- Maintaining a high profile in Asia by supporting and coordinating events for TrustLaw and the Thomson Reuters Foundation, including working group, panel discussions and workshops, among others.
- Assist with other duties as required.
- An experienced lawyer (5+ years) with strong legal skills and experience in pro bono and in international development or social change
- Commercial experience with a law firm or in-house would be favourable.
- A strong understanding of the legal and non-profit sectors in Asia, and an understanding of the challenges and opportunities that pro bono opportunities bring to law firms and legal teams.
- Proven organisational abilities and experience of managing competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Extensive experience project managing projects or programming in the charity, non-profit, or pro bono sectors.
- Extensive experience working with a diverse range of stakeholders, from senior corporate executives and partners of top law firms to social entrepreneurs, NGOs, and any other beneficiaries of our services.
- Proven experience and knowledge of one or more of Thomson Reuters Foundation’s focus areas (media freedom, inclusive economies and/or human rights)
- Experience conducting due diligence, monitoring the effectiveness and impact of NGOs and social enterprises.
- A leader who is able to direct global strategy and manage multiple high-level projects consecutively
- A strong team player, able to work remotely and communicate effectively with a global team.
- Experience managing a team.
- Experience designing tailored pitches and presentations to a variety of senior commercial stakeholders and articulating social impact in a commercial context.
- An exceptional communicator with strong writing skills and extensive public speaking experience.
- Is ambitious, dynamic, and creative.
- Experience in Salesforce would be favourable. Experience using and managing information in databases required.
- Strong understanding and ability to use a range of software tools, including Microsoft Office, CMS, Eventbrite, etc.
- Fluent in English, other languages favourable.
- Willingness to travel internationally.
To apply for this position, send your CV and cover letter in English describing how you meet the specifications for this role, what you bring to it, and your availability to start. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
The salary is relative to the local charitable sector in the country of application and will be commensurate with experience.
Applicants must have the right to work in India.
How to Apply?
For regular updates, join us:
For regular updates, join us: