Office of Lily Thomas and Saju Jakob is holding an essay competition.
Lily Thomas, a name that can’t be forgotten, an inventor of a new idea, called Public Interest Litigation, has dedicated her entire life to convert our country into a better place to live in. With Constitution as her Bible, she has sailed through the tides of her profession as a lawyer to invent new ideas so as to revamp the administration of our country in parity with the vision of Constitutional makers. Adv. Saju Jakob, being the legacy holder of Adv. Lily Thomas, along with his colleagues, has been stern to carry forward her vision and mission to create constitutional awareness of equality and fraternity in the society.
- The theme of the article writing competition is “Future of Truth and Freedom of Press in today’s Era“.
- Freedom of the Press in India is implied in Freedom of Speech and Expression, which is guaranteed under Art.19 (1) (a) of Indian Constitution, but it is not an absolute right, Article 19(2) sets a reasonable limit on Freedom of Speech and Expression. 1st Amendment to the American Constitution explicitly states that freedom of the press cannot be abridged in any way by law. Thomas Jefferson stated, “were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter. The famous Voltaire said- “I do not agree with a word you say but will defend to the death your right to say it.”
- Truth is what makes for good journalism, as is presenting all side’s perspectives and letting the public form an informed opinion based on the facts. In this day and age, fake or incorrect information comes in many forms, including misinformation, disinformation, a lack of information, or one-sided information, all of which contribute to an uninformed citizenry, which makes democracy meaningless.
- For a healthy democracy, we need high-quality, truthful journalism. Is there a need for a code of conduct in the light of recent developments? But a caged media poses a greater threat to the society than an unbridled chariot that sometimes acts as a savoir of democracy. A legal analysis is sought taking into account various case laws as well as historical perspectives from around the globe.
- Winner: Rs. 10,000/- along with a Certificate of Appreciation.
- First Runner-up: Rs. 5,000/- along with a Certificate of Appreciation.
- Second Runner-up: Rs. 3,000/- along with a Certificate of Appreciation.
- The next seven participants will receive Rs. 1,000/- each and a Certificate of Appreciation. The Articles of the Top Three candidates will be published on our official website.
- The Top Three participants will be a given two-minute opportunity to present their papers in the Memorial Lecture.
- Active Participants who will attend the Memorial Lecture on December 12th, 2022 at 16:15 Hrs. will be awarded a Certificate of Participation.
- Word Limit: 1600-1800 words (excluding footnotes and abstract). No Co-authorship is allowed.
- Multiple entries for the same authors are not allowed.
- Individual Attachments: Name; contact details; current academic status (if applicable); Citation Style: 19th Bluebook edition.
- The Font shall be Times New Roman, the font size- 12 and the line spacing is 1.5.
- All the interested participants should send their articles along with abstracts by 15th November, 2022 with the subject “Lawyers as Inventors”. Essays should be sent to our office via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Participants shall send their personal details/contact details.
- Any late submission will not be considered.
- Results will be announced on 12th December, 2022 in the Memorial Lecture, the details of which will be uploaded later/soon. All those who take part in memorial lecture will be awarded certificate of participation
- Last Date of Submission: 15th November,2022 by 23:45 hrs
- Memorial Lecture: 12th December,2022 at 16:15 hrs
- Result Declaration: 12th December,2022
Disclaimer: All information posted by us on Lexpeeps is true to our knowledge. But still, it is suggested that you check and confirm things on your level.