About the Organizer and Seminar
The National University of Advanced Legal Studies, formerly National Institute for Advanced Legal Studies, is a uni-disciplinary university in Kochi, India for undergraduate, graduate and post-graduate legal education. It is the only National Law University in the state of Kerala.
The National University of Advanced Legal Studies, Kochi is organizing a three-day National Seminar on Citizenship and the Indian Constitution on March 5th, 6th and 7th, 2020.
Since the passing of The Citizenship (Amendment) Act, the entire country engaged in continuous debate and discussion over the various provisions of the same. CAA and NRC are the most discussed terms for the past few months. The proposal of nationwide National Register of Citizens updating exercise has been a cause of panic among people as the exercise may make them lose their citizenship if they are unable to provide the proof of citizenship.
The seminar consists of a paper presentation on various themes given below, touching upon the Constitution and Citizenship, and an international colloquium on the subject by dignitaries in the field of law, politics, journalism, activism and academia. The seminar intends to provide an enhanced understanding on issues relating to citizenship, seen due to the changes made in the legal framework in India.
A call for research papers has also been made wherein the abstract is required to not exceed 250 words and various other details that will be further notified of.
Teachers, Advocates, Research Scholars, PG and UG students
- Nationality and Citizenship under International Law
- Issues of NRC and Citizenship
- Nationwide NRC and Assam NRC
- Interconnection between the Citizenship (Amendment) Act, 2019 and National Register of Citizens
- Concept of Citizenship under Indian Constitution
- Indian Citizenship and judicial response
- NRC and Statelessness
- Cultural, Educational, Social and Political Rights of Non-Citizens
- Internally Displaced Persons (IDP), Refugees and Migrants
- Proof of Citizenship
- Citizenship and Human Rights including that of Ethnic Group
The National University of Advanced Legal Studies, Kochi, Kerala
Details regarding registration will be sent after short-listing of abstracts.
The abstract should not exceed 250 words, and must be accompanied by a cover page, stating the following- SubTheme(write “others” in case it is not mentioned in sub-theme); Title of the paper; Name of Author(s); Name of Institute/Organization; Official Designation; E-mail Address; Postal Address and Contact Number.
The Subject of the Mail should be “Abstract Submission for-Theme-Subtheme-name of the author” to the email citizenshipnuals[at]gmail.com. Details with respect to registration will be sent after short-listing of abstracts
Registration Fees: Teachers and Advocates: Rs. 1000/-
Research Scholars/Students: Rs. 500/-
- Dates of event: 5th-7th March 2020
- Last date of submission of abstract: 12th February 2020
- Notification of selection of abstract: 15th February 2020
- Full paper submission: 23 February 2020
Ijas Muhammed, 9446588545, ijasmuhammed47[at]gmail.com
Vishal Madhukuttan, 9061128454, vmadhukuttan43[at]gmail.com