National Law University Odisha, a vibrant addition to India’s National Law Universities seeks to promote holistic education and tries to provide its students with facilities for well-rounded development. Situated between rivers Kathajodi and Mahanadi, we sense the significance of trade through the seas. Maritime law, also known as admiralty law, is a body of law, convention and treaties that govern private maritime business and other nautical matters. NLUO, as an institution works meticulously towards promoting research and knowledge in the field of admiralty law. We firmly believe in dissemination of knowledge through promotion of center dedicated solely towards research and development of law of the seas.
CENTRE FOR MARITIME LAW:
The National Law University Odisha, Cuttack (NLUO) established the Centre for Maritime Law in 2015 with an aim to build a center of excellence and research in the field of maritime law in India.
ABOUT GANESH & CO. :
Ganesh & Co. is a well-reputed law firm based in Mumbai, with their exemplary legal services dating back to 1982. The firm has been acknowledged for its guidance for cutting edge in various transactions including Real Estate sector, Intellectual Property laws, Media & Entertainment laws/regulations, Banking and Regulation laws and Admiralty laws. Today, they stand as one of the pioneers of the Maritime Law sector in India, with their qualified legal and paralegal staff who specialize in this arena.
About the competition:
Maritime Law is a fundamental branch that governs commerce and navigation on the sea. It regulates broad ambit of claims related to customs and excise; insurance claims; employment issues of cre members; pollution by vessels; salvage operations and piracy etc. Awareness of such an important field is very much required among law students and legal fraternity. The Centre organised the 1st Maritime Law Essay competition
in 2019 and it was a huge success with participation from across all over the country. We got 75+ submissions and the essays were judiciously reviewed by a panel of eminent personalities involved with Maritime Law actively.
With the view of increasing interest and creating awareness in field of maritime law, the Centre for Maritime Law, NLUO in collaboration with Ganesh & Co., Mumbai is organising the 2nd National Maritime Law Essay Writing Competition, 2021. Also, through this essay competition the Centre seeks to encourage scholarly discussion among the students from field of law.
We welcome submissions from all students enrolled in 5 Year Integrated LLB, 3 Year LLB and LLM Programme.
- Impact of COVID-19 on Maritime Law
- Artificial Intelligence in the Shipping Industry
- Technology and Maritime Law
- Maritime Piracy and Armed Robbery
- Effective port management in India
- Changes required in Maritime and shipping agreement
- Marine insurance and related issues
- Maritime security
- Maritime Industry and Environmental Law
- Extradition and Mutual Legal Assistance in the Prosecution of Maritime crimes
- Seafarers and other maritime professionals’ rights and welfare
- Gender, diversity, and culture in the maritime industry
- Supply and demand of maritime labour
Please Note: The above given themes are merely illustrative, participants are free to choose any theme/topic which pertains to maritime and shipping law.
- The essay must be in English language only and the submission has to be made in Microsoft Word (.doc or.docx format).
- Co-authorship to a maximum of two is permitted.
- Only one submission is allowed per author. Submissions, both as co-author and single, will be treated as multiple submissions and will be disqualified as an entry to the competition.
- There should not be any form of identification mark such as name of the author, University/College name etc. on the essay.
- Any form of identification will lead to disqualification.
- The essay should be of 1500 – 2000 words, excluding footnotes.
- The essay must contain an abstract of not more than 200 word including keywords.
- The write-ups shall have no plagiarism and should be an original work of the participants.
- The participants shall follow Bluebook 20th Edition as the mode of Citation.
- Main Body: Font: Times New Roman, Font Size – 12, Line Spacing – 1.5 and Alignment – Justified.
- Footnotes: Font: Times New Roman, Font Size – 10, Line Spacing – 1.0 and Alignment – Justified.
- Margins should be 1 inch or 2.54 cm on all sides
- The participants shall follow the Harvard Bluebook 20th Edition as the mode of Citation.
- There is no registration fee for this competition. Please maintain due diligence while filling the Google form. The credentials of participants will be checked for successful registration.
- The participants are required to register and submit the Essay through this Google formon or before 11:59 pm, May 30, 2021. Please note that the submission will also be done through the same Google Form provided.
- The deadline for submission is 11:59 pm, May 30, 2021 (Sunday). Any submission received beyond the deadline will be rejected.
Last Date of Registration: May 30th, 2021
Last date of Submission: May 30th, 2021
Visit our official:
For any query mail us at email@example.com
- Varuni Agarwal: 8209561157
- Shivangi Banerjee: 7619948112
- Armaan Arora: 7597846035
For regular updates, join us: