Kanooniyat is a legal website providing daily legal updates to its user base, comprising law students, law aspirants, lawyers and legal professionals, in the form of articles, opportunities and legal jobs. Social media links: Instagram, LinkedIn, Facebook.
About Kanooniyat Opinion Writing Competition:
This Opinion Writing Competition by Kanooniyat aims to provide the participants with a competitive platform to learn about one of the most important skills a lawyer must possess – that of expression. For the evaluation process, due emphasis will be laid on a candidate’s ability to succinctly put forward the relevant facts, mention the applicable laws and put forward their opinion for the same, backed by reasoning. The reasoning provided, quality of research, and formatting and language used are also applicable criteria.
About the Webinar on Marital Rape in India
The guest speaker for this webinar will be Advocate Vikram Srivastava who is a human rights advocate and the founder of Independent Thought. The NGO has been working for child rights and for furthering women’s rights in the country. It was after the case of Independent Thought v. Union of India (2017] 10 SCC 800, AIR 2017 SC 4904), that even marital sexual intercourse with a girl below the age of 18 was declared as a criminal offence. Currently, the NGO is fighting to get marital rape criminalised in India. The webinar will be addressing the issue of marital rape in India and aims to raise awareness, equip students with credible facts and impart much needed sensitization.
The webinar will be held on 15th February, 2022 at 1600 hrs. The platform will be Google Meet and the link will be shared with the registered participants.
Registering for solely the webinar is also available at https://forms.gle/K1Yf9YjdewKeqQkn7 .
The event is being held in collaboration with Advocate Vikram Srivastava’s Independent Thought.
The Outreach and Internship partner for this event is LawInternships (The online law school).
Our Media Partner for this event is International Journal for Advanced Legal Research (IJALR).
Submissions that deal with any aspect of marital rape will be considered. The participants are free to explore other related fields as well.
Eligibility for Kanooniyat Opinion Writing Competition:
- Students (UG/ PG/ Certifications/ Diploma) from any stream from any University/ College/ Institute in India.
- Multiple entries from one participant are not permitted.
- Co-authorship (Team of 2) is permitted.
Awards and Perks:
- Winner: Rs. 1500 + Certificate of Merit.
- Runners up: Rs. 1000 + Certificate of Merit.
- Top 5 entries: Certificate of Appreciation.
- Exciting internship opportunities to the top five entries. The internship opportunity for the winners and runners up will be under the aegis of Advocate Vikram Srivastava and for the remaining top entries, the same will be provided for by LawInternships (The Online Law School).
- Participation Certificates to all the participants (exclusive of the webinar).
- The Opinion Writing must be written solely by the registered candidate(s) (co-authorship upto two is allowed), in English, and should not have been submitted for publication elsewhere.
- The minimum word limit for Opinion Writing is 900 words. There is no maximum word limit.
- All submissions have to be made in MS Word format and should be typed in Times New Roman, font size 12 and 1.5 line spacing.
- The page margins should be 1” or 2.54 cm on all sides.
- All text should be aligned as justified.
- All claims of the author(s), in the body of the manuscript, are expected to be backed by reasons along with proper citations and shall not be mere assertions.
- Any violation of rules shall result in direct disqualification.
- The submissions will be scrutinised through plagiarism software. Permissible limit of plagiarism is 20%.
Evaluation Criteria and Weightage:
- Understanding of Issues (20 Marks)
- Quality of Analysis (25 Marks)
- Originality (20 Marks)
- Formatting & Language (15 Marks)
- Suggestions & Recommendations (20 Marks)
Copyright of the Submissions:
- All the Opinion Writing drafts submitted shall be the exclusive property of the organizers.
- The organizers shall be free to use the information/ views therein in any manner they require and deem fit.
- The decision of organizers in deciding the winner(s) shall be final and binding and no query, correspondence, etc. in this regard shall be entertained by the organizers.
- Opinion Writing draft submissions incompatible with the above rules and submission guidelines will not be considered for evaluation.
- The submission of entries to the competition implies acceptance of the above terms and conditions by the participant(s).
- Kanooniyat reserves the right to cancel the event at any point before the conduct of the event. In such a case, any fee paid as registration fee shall be refunded in full to the registered participants.
Registration and Submission Procedure:
- Participants are required to register for the Opinion Writing Competition by paying the registration fee. Click here to pay fees
- Once the registration fee is paid, participants have to take a screenshot of the same and fill the registration form.
- After they fill the registration form, participants will receive an email acknowledging the same from our end which will also have the submission link for the Opinion Writing Competition. The registration shall be complete after this step.
- Participants will have to submit their drafts using the submission form before the deadline.
- The participants are required to submit their documents by 11:59 PM, 21st February, 2022, after which the submission form will not accept entries.
The participants are required to register for Kanooniyat’s Opinion Writing Competition by paying the registration fee of Rs. 250 (single author) or Rs. 400 (co-authors), through the payment link provided, before the registration deadline, i.e., 15th February, 2022 at 2 PM. The same will enable the participants to attend the webinar.
- Payment Link: https://rzp.io/l/opinionwriting
- Registration Link: https://forms.gle/DizQLStjZ63KwgKq7
- Webinar Registration Link: https://forms.gle/aAtRGdEM8GXnzg4V8
|Last date to register||15 February 2022 (1400h)|
|Webinar on||15 February 2022|
|Last date to submit||21 February 2022|
|Declaration of Results||27 February 2022|
|Distribution of Awards and Certificates||5 March 2022|
In case of any queries related to this Opinion Writing Competition, feel free to contact us at:
Phone no.: 9645099772 (WhatsApp texts only)
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
Disclaimer: All information posted by us on LexPeeps is true to our knowledge. But still it is suggested that you check and confirm things on your level.