About ILS Pune
The Indian Law Society was established in 1923 as a Public Charitable Trust registered under the Societies Registration Act, 1960. It is a non-profit organization established with the sole purpose of imparting legal education.
The Society is a voluntary association of persons, who came together with a pledge to launch legal courses having social utility and social relevance. The founder members of the Indian Law Society were the legal luminaries like Sir Narayanrao Chandavarkar, Shri J. R. Nanasaheb Gharpure, Diwan Bahadur and P. B. Shingane.
About ILS Law College
Established in 1924, ILS Law College is one of the oldest law schools in India and has been playing a pioneering role in legal education and scholarship in the country.
About the Competition
Legislations or statutes are considered as one of the important sources of law. Most of the legislation are written in a manner that is complex for laymen to understand. Thus, to create legal literacy and legal awareness amongst the common man legislations have to be drafted in clear, simple language with accuracy and precision. Drafting is an onerous task and requires proficiency. A person drafting legislation should pen down every word with exactness. Legislative drafting is the art of creating a nexus between legislation and the intention behind it.
Efficacy of a law is dependent on the wisdom with which it is drafted. It is often observed that good policies may turn out to be a bad law because of the ambiguity or incorrect placement of words, thus precision in drafting a law gains importance.
The purpose of organizing the National Legislative Drafting competition is to encourage law students to get introduced to the skills of legislative drafting and also to emphasize upon them the significance of the subject.
Students of III, IV & V year of 5-Year Integrated Law Degree Program & Students of II & III years of 3-Year LL. B Program and Students pursuing Post-Graduation in Law (LL.M) at the time of the competition are eligible to participate in the Competition.
Team Composition: A team shall be comprised of two members only.
The number of Participating Teams: Maximum of Sixteen (16) teams shall be allowed to participate in the competition, on the basis of a first-come-first-serve basis.
- Release of subject/theme/ topic for drafting of Bill on the college website (www.ilslaw.edu) on March 9, 2022.
- Registration Opens on March 11, 2022 for the Competition.
- Registration Fees: Rs. 1,000/- per team (including GST).
- Last Date for Registration: March 27, 2022. (Please note, the registration will close on receiving registrations of sixteen teams which can be before 27th March, 2022.)
- Winning Team: INR 8,000/- + Book on Legislative Drafting by T.K. Viswanathan
- First Runner-up team: INR 5,000/-
- Second Runner-up team: INR 4,000/-
- Members of the participating team shall be given certificates of participation
Disclaimer: All information posted by us on LexPeeps is true to our knowledge. But still, it is suggested that you check and confirm things on your level.