Twitter is what’s happening and what people are talking about right now. For us, life’s not about a job, it’s about purpose. We believe real change starts with the public conversation occurring globally. At Twitter, your voice matters. Come as you are and together we’ll do what’s right (not what’s easy) to serve the public conversation.
You will be responsible for coordination with the law enforcement and government agencies in India to oversee the process of responding to reports, orders, and complaints, guided at all times by our mission to defend and respect the voices of the people who use our service in India. You will be the primary link for coordination between Twitter and these agencies on all legal requests relating to Twitter’s platform, including requests for content removal and user data disclosure.
This is a full-time role located in India. You must be a resident of India. This role is part of the Legal team within Twitter Inc., and will report to the company’s headquarters in San Francisco. You will collaborate closely with colleagues from allied teams (including Legal, Public Policy and Trust & Safety, Communications), providing your own subject-matter expertise, and seeking the expertise of others when needed. You must therefore be comfortable collaborating with colleagues from a wide variety of teams and backgrounds, and managing internal and external stakeholders effectively, all while advocating vigorously for Twitter and the people who use our service in India.
This position is ideal for a mid-to-senior-career professional with prior experience interfacing with the public or government officials on issues of national importance.
Primary responsibilities will include:
- Overlooking established processes to review and respond to legal orders from law enforcement/government agencies in India to comply with removal obligations and information requests in a timely manner.
- Liaising between Twitter and law enforcement/government agencies on all kinds of legal requests received from various law enforcement organizations and government agencies relating to the Twitter platform.
- Potentially communicating Twitter Inc.’s interest and position at meetings, both routine and ad hoc, with law enforcement/government agencies on all types of legal requests, including but not limited to requests for content removal under s.69A of the IT Act and requests for user information
- Working closely with Legal, Trust & Safety, Public Policy, in relation to law enforcement requests.
- Educating government agencies on Twitter’s Terms of Service, Twitter Rules, and policies, and effectively educating government agencies on using Twitter’s tools and processes to report violations and make legal requests.
- Supporting Twitter and our employees during emergencies.
- You are a mid-to-senior-career professional (minimum 6 years’ relevant work experience) with extensive experience coordinating with members of the public or government agencies on matters of national importance. Relevant experiences could include direct government agency or law enforcement experience, prosecution, criminal investigation, and/or experience in a similar Internet/Tech safety and security role.
- Familiarity with the Indian legal system, and in particular, knowledge of, and experience with, laws relating to the takedown of content from online platforms (e.g. s.69A, IT Act and related rules) and the disclosure of user data by online platforms (e.g. s.91, CrPC), among other relevant laws.
- Experience with reviewing, processing and summarizing legal documents (e.g. court orders, statutory notices, search warrants, etc.) and/or user complaints.
- Good public speaking and presentation skills.
- Fluency in both English and Hindi is a must. Fluency in another Indian language is an advantage.
- Ability and willingness to work off hours, including weekends and holidays. Since the role involves liaising with law enforcement agencies, you will be expected to attend to questions, communications all days of a week including weekends and holidays
- Ability to travel (if required) within India (subject to prevailing COVID travel guidelines and restrictions)
- Experience working in the private sector or with a major multinational company is strongly preferred.
- Must be a resident of India.
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.